Important notes regarding videos
Videos are not hosted on MacSites. Instead, MacSites pulls from external video hosting services.
Video hosting options
The 3 options for video hosting that can be pulled into MacSites are:
MacVideo.ca is our own video portal similar to “YouTube”. It’s a tool that McMaster uses through our Kaltura media hosting license which allows you to make video and other media available to anyone you choose online.
For more information on MacVideo, please visit the MacVideo webpage.
YouTube is a free global online video sharing and social media platform.
YouTube offers 3 options for hosting videos:
- Public: Everyone can see. Appears in search results on Google and YouTube.
- Unlisted (recommended for MacSites): Viewable through a unique link.
- Private: Only YouTube users you’ve invited to view the video can do so.
Note: The YouTube viewing options can change, so please consult YouTube’s documentation if you have concerns about the visibility of your video.
Vimeo, Inc. is an American video hosting, sharing, and services platform provider.
Macsites video elements
There are 5 elements within MacSites that allow videos.
- Hero Banners (YouTube Only)
- Content Areas
- Call To Action Boxes (Default Template Only, YouTube Only)
- Link Builder – Video Pop-up
Videos & accessibility
All videos require closed captioning in order to be AODA compliant.
For more information regarding captioning, please consult the McMaster Accessibility Hub Captioning and Audio Resource page.